Travel Planning Guide on How to Book Travel
Ensuring the right steps are in place prior to booking your travel can be a challenge. Below are the important University resources to help guide you. Reach out to TMS if you have any questions.
- Review your CSU Travel Policy. Most CSU’s have an internal travel policy that you can find on their internal portal.
- Check with your internal Business Office on internal travel training
- Learn more about travel funding rules from your Business Office
- Review the UT Austin Handbook of Business Procedures
All travel must be approved for the absences of employees from the campus or other designated headquarters, whether or not there is a cost to the university. This is accomplished by submitting an RTA (Request for Travel Authorization) which also serves as the primary reference for travel reimbursements. RTA’s and Doc ID’s are required to book travel arrangements.
- RTA requirements & travel funding information are found on the Travel Authorizations page of the HBP
- Non-Employee Travel Authorization known as “NETA” must be completed for non-employees providing services to the University
- RTA Travel Voucher Descriptions
- VE5 is the original electronic RTA
- VE6 is the electronic correction for an approved RTA
- VP5 is the electronic travel voucher
- IMPORTANT – Never delete and RTA even if the trip is cancelled
- Submitting an RTA – Two Options
Before booking a trip, you should create a travel profile to expedite the booking process and minimize any issues with your ticketed name and membership numbers. If you are a travel arranger, you should have a profile so that you can book travel on behalf of others.
To create a Travel Profile, you will need to register for Concur. All travel profiles are secure in the Concur Travel profile section. Learn how to create a travel profile. If you already have a travel profile, simply login to Concur Travel and select Profile in top right-hand corner to make updates.
Booking Domestic Travel
The University offers a self-service booking option and a full-service dedicated travel agency option. Both options provide university traveler’s the 24/7 resources they need while on the trip to help alleviate any travel pressures that may arise. They also both offer many travel benefits outlined below while providing duty of care reporting to the University.
Concur Travel (Self-Service) The ability to book your travel online at any hour of the day is available using the self-service booking tool, Concur Travel. UT System has significant airline discounts that are accessible within Concur. Additionally, having the mobile app feature allows traveler’s access to their trips to make changes, cancel or book a new flight.
Concur allows you to book flights, rental cars and hotels.
- Option to search by schedule or by price
- Basic Economy Fares now offered on Concur
- Ability to book 24/7 online or with a mobile app
- Ability to create templates for repeat destinations
- Ability to access all past trips in a Trip Library & maintain all cancelled airline tickets in your profile for ease of re-use when rebooking
- Ability to assign Travel Arrangers to book trips on your behalf
- Ability to book guest travel *special access provided by TMS
- Ability to change your trip (limited to one change online, additional changes will need agent assistance)
- Ability to add a car or hotel after airfare is booked; or book car or hotel only reservations
- Ability to view your Concur booked trip on your airline membership login
- Ability to call Anthony Travel while on trip for assistance with flight delays, cancellations, etc.
- Option to central bill airfare
- Option to central bill rental car *UT car vendors only
- No option to central bill hotel
- Individual traveler’s will be reimbursed for hotels once trip is completed
- If you need assistance on how to pay for a hotel, email TMS@austin.utexas.edu
To finalize the booking, you will need to provide the RTA number, the DOC ID number, the 10-digit billing account number.
Concur technical support desk hours: 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. CT | MON-FRI
Email: OnlineTravel@AnthonyTravel.com or phone: 888-940-6696.
For those interested in learning more about Concur Travel, reach out to Travel Management Services to schedule a tutorial or check the TMS website for upcoming workshops.
Anthony Travel (Full Service)
The University offers a dedicated full-service Travel Agency to assist departments with all their travel arrangement needs. The Anthony Travel booking benefits include:
- Payment options to central bill the airfare, car rentals and motor coach bookings
- Time savings with their expertise navigating various flight options guiding you to best pricing with best flight duration and ensuring institutional policies are followed
- Access to an after-hours emergency support desk
- Access to state rates and UT System contracted airfares resulting in savings & benefits
- Airline contracted benefits include
- Ability for the agent to unblock paid seats for no extra fee *limited to specific carriers & unblocked seating based on availability
- Priority boarding group for all fare types
- Priority above standard passengers on airline standby waitlists
- Expedited access to airline waivers experiencing weather delays to assist traveler’s with rebooking options
- Airline contracted benefits include
- Assistance with personal travel combined with business travel trips
- Includes family member travel and seating arrangements
- Assistance with changes to trips including airline ticket exchanges and maintaining a list of previously cancelled trips for future use
- Dedicated group travel specialist and airline relationships to waive group deposits
To finalize the booking, you will need to provide the RTA number, the DOC ID number, the 10-digit billing account number. If you are booking travel for a non-employee, you will need to provide the non-employee travel authorization form.
Anthony Travel Contact Information Hours are 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. CT, Monday-Friday
Phone: 512-617-8444 or 800-684-2044
Email: UTTravel@AnthonyTravel.com | After-Hours Emergency 800-342-9008 *access code S4RRG
Booking International Travel
International travel can be booked using Concur Travel or Anthony Travel. We recommend complex international itineraries are booked using the full-service Anthony Travel team. The International Oversight Committee (IOC) maintains a Restricted Regions List of locations worldwide that pose a heightened travel risk due to health, safety and/or security reasons . Travel to these countries must receive pre-approval prior to making travel arrangements.
Registered UT Austin travelers will be supported by Texas Global Risk and Safety staff, and will be covered through On Call International overseas insurance.
- Once you are registered with On Call, you will have access to their pre-departure itinerary reviews and comprehensive destination intelligence to help you prepare for the realities on-site.
- On Call International provides extensive coverage for UT travelers who experience emergencies abroad, to include coverage for quarantining in the host country and assistance in seeking medical diagnoses of and treatment for COVID-19.
For more information on preparing for safe travel abroad, follow the International Travel Process.
Booking Group Travel
If you have a minimum of 10 people or more departing from the same destination and traveling to the same destination at the same time, the airfare could qualify as a group booking. Group air space secures the same price for all tickets and allows the space to be held in advance while your compile the full list of traveler names that will be due upon a pre-determined date set by the airlines. When booking group airfare with Anthony Travel, the deposit to hold the group space is waived for most airlines. For group hotel bookings, reach out to Conference Direct meeting and conference planning services.
Booking Rental Cars
Please visit our Rental Cars page for more information. There are specific vendors and car types that must be used for proper reimbursements.
Booking Hotels and/or Meetings & Events
Please visit our Hotels page for more information.
Booking Ground Transportation
Please visit our Ground Transportation page for more information on car services, motor coaches and shuttles.
Once a trip is complete, submitting reimbursement for your travel expenses can be found in the Handbook of Business Procedures. This is handled by the Office of Financial and Administrative Services. The Payment Services team can assist with any questions.
- Handbook of Business Procedures — Travel Reimbursements
- Payment Services Payment Services contact information
Student Travel - Domestic
If you are traveling with students for a University organized or sponsored event, review the Student Activities website regarding Domestic Student Organizational Travel. This website provides the necessary forms that are required.
Student Travel - International
For student travel policy specific to international travel, visit the Study Abroad website.
All students traveling internationally for university related reasons are required to obtain approval from the International Oversight Committee and register the trip for the UT Overseas Insurance policy.
Travel Management Services wants to hear about your experience. It’s our commitment to campus departments to constantly improve services whether it’s the planning, booking or on-trip experience. Email us at TMS@austin.utexas.edu
See below links for more helpful information: