Travel Authorizations

Travel Authorization Procedures

You must complete certain authorization procedures in order to get reimbursed for university-related business travel. Depending on the situation, you’ll need to complete one of the following during the early stages of the travel-planning process.

Request for Travel Authorization (RTA)

When to complete an RTA: for all employee, prospective employee, and student travel

Completing a Request for Travel Authorization (RTA) is the first thing you should do when you start planning a trip for employees, prospective employees, or students using a centrally billed airfare or requesting reimbursement for travel on university business.

  1. Complete the following:

A new Request for Travel Authorization (RTA) data report is available to help with the increased need for travel related data during the COVID -19 pandemic: RTA Report Submission

Contact Purchasing - Travel Services experts on rules relating to all types of travel authorizations.

Student Travel Policy for International Locations (STPIL)

According to Appendix N of the University’s General Catalog, all students traveling internationally on University-related business are required to register their travel with Texas Global Risk and Safety. This is to ensure that essential emergency details are collected and that all students are enrolled in UT’s Overseas Insurance policy. This registration process is separate from and in addition to the Request for Travel Authorization (RTA) process required for reimbursement. However, failure to properly register travel can result in disciplinary action and the inability to receive reimbursement for travel expenses.

How to register your travel:

Questions? Email