Travel Authorization Procedures
You must complete certain authorization procedures in order to get reimbursed for university-related business travel. Depending on the situation, you’ll need to complete one of the following during the early stages of the travel-planning process.
- Visit the Handbook of Business Procedures for further information on travel authorizations
Request for Travel Authorization (RTA)
When to complete an RTA: for all employee, prospective employee, and student travel
Completing a Request for Travel Authorization (RTA) is the first thing you should do when you start planning a trip for employees, prospective employees, or students using a centrally billed airfare or requesting reimbursement for travel on university business.
- Complete the following:
- Automated RTA — You can complete the electronic VE5 document using DEFINE. RTA numbers are automatically assigned once the document receives initial approval. Travel Management Services recommends using the automated RTA whenever possible.
- Non-Employee Travel Authorization - https://utexas.app.box.com/v/non-employee-travel-auth
A new Request for Travel Authorization (RTA) data report is available to help with the increased need for travel related data during the COVID -19 pandemic: RTA Report Submission
Student Travel Policy for International Locations (STPIL)
According to Appendix N of the University’s General Catalog, all students traveling internationally on University-related business are required to register their travel with Texas Global Risk and Safety. This is to ensure that essential emergency details are collected and that all students are enrolled in UT’s Overseas Insurance policy. This registration process is separate from and in addition to the Request for Travel Authorization (RTA) process required for reimbursement. However, failure to properly register travel can result in disciplinary action and the inability to receive reimbursement for travel expenses.
How to register your travel:
- Visit the Texas Global web page on International Travel Policies
- Determine if you are traveling to a Restricted Region
- Complete the appropriate travel request form for your destination
Questions? Email email@example.com