Travel Management Services home

Frequently Asked Questions

Flights | Direct Billing | Rental Cars | Hotels | Travel Authorizations
Mixing Business Travel and Personal Travel | State of Texas Travel Rules | International Travel
Reimbursements | Student Travel | Benefits & Overtime | Money Matters | Charter Ground Transportation

Rental Cars

Why can’t I rent a 12 or 15-passanger van?

According to UT System policy, only trained, authorized drivers can operate 12 or 15-passanger vans, and no more than 9 occupants (including the driver) are allowed in the van at any time. This policy is in place for your safety and that of the entire university community. If you want to learn more about the 15-passanger van rule, visit the Parking and Transportation Services website.

How do I direct bill a rental car through central billing?

See the answers to the Direct Billing FAQs.

How can I set up departmental direct billing for a rental car?

If your department is interested in establishing a departmental direct billing account with UT Austin rental car vendors, email Travel Management Services. Remember to include the following information in the email:

Am I allowed to use a non-contract rental car vendor?

Non-contract car rentals are only allowed if the all of the five UT Austin contract vendors are sold out or do not have a rental location at your destination. You must purchase the offered LDW and Liability insurance coverage (they are reimbursable) when using a non-contract rental car vendor.

Can I take my rental car outside the United States or across state lines?

Please see the Rental Cars page for the answer to this question and information on other provisions of the UT Austin rental car contracts.

Who can answer my insurance questions regarding business travel related car rentals?

Contact Lisa Shanks, Office of Accounting Risk and Insurance Analyst, with rental car insurance questions.

return to top